Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37

Thread: Long John Silvers in Coeburn

  1. #21
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Long John Silvers in Coeburn

    Norton has one.
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  2. #22
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Long John Silvers in Coeburn

    Captain D's used to be great (The one in Norton), it has slipped the last few years. I can't believe that someone said greasy about Captain D's. That's the reason I went there because it was always a lot less greasy than Long Johns.

    As for Shannons, yes it is closed. I went by there a few weeks back after hearing the rumors. When Shannon sold it, it went downhill quickly. The advantage there was Shannon, at least in my view, let the people who had worked there (several about as long as it had been open) more or less run the show. He knew where his bread was buttered. The new owner ran them all off in a very short length of time, and well, you see where the business is. Sad.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  3. #23
    Inactive Member NStanley's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 26th, 2006
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Long John Silvers in Coeburn

    I have enjoyed Shannon's for many years and didn't know it had closed. You're right about Shannon knowing where his bread & butter came from..the food & service they had for years was some of the best in Wise County. As with most things sometimes progress is not for the best. BTW, this is my first post on the forum...hope I didn't mess it up (big time).

  4. #24
    Inactive Member imported_mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2004
    Posts
    5,094
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Long John Silvers in Coeburn

    Rock, you know how people are when it comes to management, especially in this area. Shannon knew that making tons of money wasnt the bottom line. He never tried to cut cost and he had a tremendous amount of respect for his employees and for his customers. He kept people happy which is what you have to do in business. If everyone is happy, in most cases you are going to profit no matter what. He ran business the way its supposed to be ran.

    On another note, I had heard that one of his longtime waitresses(the one with the crazy laugh, her sister) committed suicide. After Shannon sold the business, it turned those ladies lives upside down. A few of them were able to manage but I think that they were so close to Shannon that it really wrecked their worlds.

  5. #25
    Inactive Member Ironlung's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2002
    Posts
    10,218
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Long John Silvers in Coeburn

    [ QUOTE ]
    he had a tremendous amount of respect for his employees

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Oh........a story I could tell.
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

  6. #26
    Inactive Member imported_mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2004
    Posts
    5,094
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Long John Silvers in Coeburn

    shoot me a pm man [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

  7. #27
    Inactive Member Ironlung's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2002
    Posts
    10,218
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Long John Silvers in Coeburn

    Just did.
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

  8. #28
    Inactive Member Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 22nd, 2006
    Posts
    197
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Long John Silvers in Coeburn

    The food and service at Shannon's after he sold it went downhill fast. The guy who bought it apparently had no idea how to run a restaurant. It definitely wasn't the same.

    And on a sidenote I feel bad for everyone who waits tables at restaurants like Shannons and Fishtales. There are so many customers who come in thinking they are better than the servers and treat them like dirt. They leave the same tip (2$) regardless of the bill or how many people the server waited on. They also expect the food to come out instantly- hello it's not McDonalds. It's ridiculous. I did it one summer when i came in from college (i worked as a server all through college in b-burg) and I swore I'd never do it again.

  9. #29
    Inactive Member vikescoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 7th, 2004
    Posts
    841
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Long John Silvers in Coeburn

    Honesly, ALL the restaurants around here suck. The workers think that they should make huge bucks for little work, and they are extremely lazy. Plus, the intelligent and capable people around here have other jobs, so the quality of managers is low. About the only place I can stand to eat so that I know the food is hot and fresh, and the service is decent is where my wife is a manager...She is one in a very strong and capable group at the Wise McDs. The night shifts are a little rocky, but overall, it is the only place I can stand to go around here. I think the poor food quality, the limited staffs, and the fact that I expect perfect service after managing restaurants for 8+ years have all ruined restaurants for me.
    "One must strive for perfection to achieve excellence." Don Shula

  10. #30
    Inactive Member MikMo's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    3,344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Long John Silvers in Coeburn

    I know how it is at fast food. A friend's wife has been working at McDonalds for 10 years now, only making 6.25/hr.
    [img]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k102/ETWNAPPEL/calgraphic.gif?t=1238543058[/img]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •